ABOUT THE STANDARD
The occupational health and safety management system is a guideline in the management of risks that have an impact on occupational health and safety of employees and visitors. This standard defines the organizational structure, planning activities, responsibilities, practices, procedures and resources for the development, implementation, realization, review and maintenance of occupational health and safety policy.
OHSAS 18001 provides protection to employees; systematic approach to hazard identification and risk management, contributes to a healthier and safer work environment, reduces the number of accidents and addresses occupational health issues, thus reducing losses caused by illness or injury to employees. An effective process of occupational health and safety of employees facilitates communication and cooperation with the competent inspections.
At every workplace, there are certain dangers to the health of employees. For these reasons, systematic monitoring and elimination of all possible hazards is required. In addition, injuries at work or illnesses caused by unfavorable working conditions, which would oblige the company to pay compensation, are prevented.
The most important thing is the safety of employees in the workplace, and it is achieved through the following steps:
- determining hazards in accordance with legal regulations;
- determining the objectives;
- training of employees on workplace hazards;
- planning, development and implementation of employees health care systems;
- system control;
- periodic review of the system.
BENEFITS OF CERTIFICATION
By implementing and certifying according to this standard, the company gains the trust of interested parties, proving that management shows its intention to meet the requirements from occupational health and safety policy, that the emphasis is on prevention rather than corrective measures, that it is possible to provide evidence that OHSAS applies to the whole organization and not only to processes for which there are regulations or high risk zones and that the OHSAS concept includes a process of continuous improvement.
Advantages of OHSAS 18001 implementation and certification:
- reducing risks to the health and safety of employees;
- reducing the number of accidents and injuries at work;
- provides protection against possible injuries to both employees and visitors;
- contributes to the company’s readiness to eliminate danger in a timely manner;
- harmonization with legislation in the field of employees health and protection of their rights;
- increase of work efficiency due to increase of employee motivation by:
demonstrating awareness of the importance of human health as a resource
providing adequate protective equipment
organizing the workplace from a security position
compulsory insurance of employees
organizing control inspections
procurement of adequate equipment and tools;
- reducing the organization costs through:
reduction of downtime due to absence of employees
reducing the number and scope of compensation claims
purchase of safe equipment and reduction of replacement costs due to frequent accidents
adequate selection when hiring new people in accordance with the requirements of the workplace
reducing marketing expenses by increasing the image in the community
lower insurance premiums;
- increasing employee responsibility;
- possibility of entering demanding foreign markets;
- increasing opportunities for long-term interest connections.