ABOUT THE STANDARD
ISO 41001 specifies the requirements for the facility management system (FM) when the organization:
- need to demonstrate the effective and efficient delivery of FM services that support the goals of the organization,
- aims to consistently meet the needs of interested parties and the applicable requirements and strives to be sustainable in a globally competitive environment.
In a globally competitive environment, organizations face increasing challenges in managing business costs. In addition to personnel costs, the biggest cost to most public and private organizations is the maintenance of equipment and facilities in order to create a healthy and safe workplace and achieve maximum efficiency in the implementation of operational activities. The ISO 41001 standard is intended to help organizations reduce costs and increase efficiency by using a management system by maintaining facilities and equipment. The very concept of the standard provides a common platform, which can be used cross-sectorally. The standard is designed to be applicable to organizations that provide maintenance services for facilities and equipment themselves, as well as to organizations that provide maintenance services for facilities and equipment to others.
The requirements set out in ISO 41001 are not sector-specific but are intended to be applicable to all organizations or parts thereof, whether public or private, regardless of the type, size and nature of the organization or its geographical location. Due to extremely strict requirements in certain sectors, this standard has found the greatest application in the following areas:
- Heating and cooling systems;
- Occupational health and safety.
This standard is applicable to any organization wishing to:
- establish, implement, maintain and improve the integrated FM system;
- ensure compliance with the management policy of maintenance of facilities and equipment;
- demonstrate compliance with ISO 41001:2018;
- request proof of compliance from the parties who have an interest in the organization;
- seek certification of its FM system.
BENEFITS OF CERTIFICATION
- improved labor productivity, safety, health and welfare;
- improved communication of requirements and maintenance methodologies between public and private sector organizations;
- improved efficiency and effectiveness, which improves the financial performance of organizations;
- improved consistency of maintenance services;
- providing a common platform for maintenance management for all types of organizations.