ABOUT THE STANDARD
Standard ISO 37001 specifies requirements and provides guidance for establishment, implementation, maintenance, review and improvement of anti-bribery management system. This management system can be independent or integrated into overall management systems of the organization. Standard ISO 37001 can be applied to all organizations:
- regardless of their size
- regardless of their type
- regardless of whether they are public, private or non-profit sector.
Bribery is a widespread phenomenon. It raises serious social, moral, economic and political concerns, undermines good governance and human rights, disrupts development and competition. It also increases operating costs, introduces uncertainty into commercial transactions, increases the costs of products and services, reduces the quality of products and services, undermines trust in institutions and disrupts the fair and efficient functioning of the market.
Regulation alone is not enough to solve this problem. Every organization should act proactively to prevent bribery. Using anti-bribery management system, through the commitment of leadership to establish a culture of integrity, transparency, openness and conformity. proactive action is achieved. In order to manage the organization well in the context of bribery prevention, anti-bribery policy needs to be established as an integral part of the overall regulatory conformity policy. Anti-bribery policy and management system help organization to avoid or mitigate the costs, risks and damages of bribery activities, to promote confidence in its business arrangements and to increase its reputation.
The risks an organization faces, in accepting bribes, depend on size of organization, scope and complexity of organization’s activities, geographical location and sector in which the organization operates. These risks can be controlled by implementing the policies, procedures and management measures established in standard ISO 37001.
Standard ISO 37001 is dealing with:
- bribery in the public, private and non-profit sectors;
- bribery by organization or a bribery to organization;
- bribery by organization personnel acting on its behalf or for its benefit;
- bribery by business associates of organization acting on its behalf or for its benefit;
- bribery of the organization’s personnel in connection with the organization’s activities;
- bribery of business associates of organization in connection with the activities of organization;
- direct and indirect bribes (eg. bribes offered or received by third parties).
BENEFITS OF CERTIFICATION
Implementation of standard ISO 37001 requirements helps the organization to prevent, detect and respond to bribes and complies with anti-bribery regulations and voluntary commitments applicable to its activities. By implementing standard ISO 37001, organization shows its clients and business associates that it has established good practice of bribery control.
Certification or conformity with the requirements of standard ISO 37001 helps to implement appropriate measures that can adequately:
- reduce the risk of bribery;
- help organization to detect the occurrence of bribes in a timely manner;
- allow organization to deal with the bribery if it occurs.