ABOUT THE STANDARD
The ISO 17100 standard is an internationally recognized standard for organizations in the translation industry, which primarily refers to the essential processes for the provision of translation services.
ISO 17100 provides requirements for the main processes, resources and other aspects necessary to deliver quality translation services that meet applicable specifications.
The application of ISO 17100 provides a means by which a translation service provider (TSP) can demonstrate compliance with established requirements for translation services in ISO 17100 and the ability of its processes to deliver a translation service that meets the client’s and other applicable specifications. Applicable specifications may include guidelines for best practice or laws provided by the user, the TSP itself, and within each relevant area of industry.
It is envisaged that this standard will be applied by TSPs of all sizes. Compliance with this standard can be claimed if all of its provisions are met, but compliance methods may vary depending on the size and complexity of the organization and, in some cases, the scope and complexity of the translation service required of the TSP.
This standard does not apply to simultaneous translation services.
BENEFITS OF CERTIFICATION
- The ISO 17100 standard consolidates the terminology used in the field of translation, creating a standard structure for translation services,
- Simplifying the interaction between clients and translators in terms of their contractual needs,
- Ability to prove the company’s ability to provide a quality translation service through a fully traceable system,
- Increasing the client base so that it can compete for contracts that require a recognized management system,
- Increasing the trust of clients and providing assurance that the organization providing translation services adheres to recognized specialist standards while meeting their translation requirements,
- Providing a guarantee that the organization employs appropriately qualified personnel and that interpreters and translators are qualified for the task specified by the client in a professional and efficient manner,
- Continuous personnel development to ensure that employees in translation service organizations follow professional development programs, and that they are up to date with the latest translation techniques and dialects,
- Increasing the morale and motivation of personnel due to precisely defined processes and procedures that result in the provision of quality and consistent service.